Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 2 (April 17th): Real Simple Real Diapers Waste Reduction – Waste Reduction, Environmental benefits,

I have always been a bit of a tree hugger, so using cloth diapers just seemed like the natural choice. There are many people who argue that the water it takes to wash cloth diapers uses more energy than it does to make, dispose of and bury a disposable diaper. 

I am not a scientist, but I have found some very interesting articles on the subject. I will not go into all of the (boring) details, but will share some facts that we can all (hopefully) agree on.

First, I want to say that an item that can be worn hundreds of times is more time and cost efficient than something that can only be worn once and thrown away.  There's a reason why we don't wear disposable underwear.
Yes, this is actual disposable underwear. Google will help you find the weirdest things you never really wanted to know existed.

There is no wondering if you have a diaper for your baby to wear-you always have cloth at home. Hopefully, you wash it and it's ready, otherwise there will be naked buns to view until the laundry is done! You've already saved a trip to the store because you don't need to buy diapers. With gas prices these days, every mile counts!

When using cloth diapers, there isn't extra trash to take out so you are saving valuable time. You don't have to do extra cleaning because the diaper genie smells and you can't get rid of the lingering scent. I have never known anyone to use a diaper genie and it not have a smell, so you can argue, but that's my experience. Now, some people put every dirty diaper into a plastic bag and then throw it in the trash. I do notice this cuts down on stinkies in the house, but honestly, you must see why I would be against this. 

When using disposables, I find that you really have just as much laundry to do as if you used cloth diapers. How can this be?!? Well, it's simple. With a super pooper like Baby J, anytime she was in a disposable she would have a blowout and I would have to wash that outfit and whatever else poop might have escaped on and touched. Honestly, I probably did more laundry those two weeks of using disposables. Never again! 

Finally, once people become cloth diaper users and learn all about the CD safe detergents and the evils of the laundry world, they become more green in the rest of their clothes washing and usually in their homes as well. It's like the beginning of a beautiful relationship with the environment: taking one step at a time to preserve our planet and keep it green for our children and those that come after them.





2 comments:

  1. There are SO many good reasons for using cloth diapers! ;) But I have to say that pic of the disposable undies is Hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I Googled it and found a ton of pictures, but this one had me laughing too. :)

    ReplyDelete