Saturday, April 30, 2011

Building the Biz

I finally did it. Today at Target, I approached a new mom and offered her a business card! 
As I was roaming aimlessly around Target today w/ my good friend and our two daughters, I saw many people with little babies. I saw even more people buying gifts for upcoming baby showers or sporting a baby bump. I wanted to approach them all and ask if they had ever considered trying cloth, but I am not a weirdo-well, maybe I'm a little strange-but I really didn't want to annoy anyone. I also didn't want to embarrass my friend, who might think I'm crazy, but is too nice to tell me.

After scouring the store for anything awesome I never knew I needed, we were ready to check out. The girl in front of us had a young son and was with her mother. The mother is what gave me courage. I thought to myself, "Maybe she cloth diapered her kids and would be more likely to support it." Anything to convince myself it's okay to randomly walk up to a stranger and solicit business, right? Also, they were buying Huggies, and that gave me an in. I got my business card ready, handed it over and casually mentioned cloth diapers. It was quick and painless, and they actually seemed a bit excited, or maybe it was just me being overly optimistic. I did just happen to flash my daughter's cute bum at them to show her cloth off trying to seal the deal. She was wearing a pink minky Envibum diaper at the time, in case you were wondering. :)


After I was done, I wished I had approached all the people I was too nervous to talk to only moments before. I felt invigorated and powerful; like I could accomplish anything I wanted. What an amazing feeling!

One mom down, hundreds of thousands to go. Watch out, you could be next!


No comments:

Post a Comment